Before we read the passage together, I'd like you to think about this question - what do:
- shooting a gun
- taking a photograph
- what a conductor does when conducting the last few seconds of a piece of music
have in common? Hint: these have to do with the very "end" in the sense of "last part" of each of these actions - but also the "end" in the sense of "goal" or "final result", as in "the end justifies the means"
- what does vv 19-20 have to do with carrying through?
- have you had any experiences which are like this man and his mirror, in verse 23? What are the elements of this metaphor?
- type out the whole verse 25 to me in IM.
- we sometimes have a tendency to "objectify" things - what does this word mean, and can we objectify "faith"? Another word, which sounds a bit more hoity-toity - is "reify" - this means, "making a thing out of something."
Saturday, May 16, 2009